Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Asparagus!


Garden surprises of surprises. I've looked everyday for about 2 weeks for any sign from the three asparagus plants I planted last year. My hopes dimmed a bit every day. Maybe it just doesn't grow here. I remember the card on the plants claiming that you could harvest asparagus the second year, but everything I read says that you shouldn't cut them until the 3rd year. Something about the plant getting tired and giving up.

Well, mark it down! There are skinny, long shoots that look more like grass weed than asparagus, sticking about 8 inches out of the ground with little tiny leaves around the top. Yes, my dears, we have asparagus!

Other garden updates. The spinach and pea seeds have still not produced any sprouts yet, but we planted them a week ago today. Hopefully we'll see something soon. When we're aren't chickening, I've been loosening the soil and pulling out Creeping Charlie from the other beds. There seems to be a good deal of work to do still in that department. Emerson and I planted cucumber and cabbage seeds inside. They seem to be doing well, but it's the next step, hardening off where I blow it. Stay tuned.

Christine bought a boatload of seeds over the weekend. Off the top of my head I can name onions, golden beets, carrots and that's it. We also have green bean seeds, and sunflowers.

My thought is that this year we'll keep all of the tomatoes in the bed by the garage. That way, when my wild tomatoes start coming up in the big bed, I'll know to just pull them out and not be tempted to nurse them into reality.

All this before tax day - amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment