Monday, April 19, 2010

Early gardening

I spent some quality time in the garden yesterday, Sunday, and Christine joined me later in the day for some good prepping. The soil was so warm and smelled so great. I just sat right down in the dirt and pulled weeds, loosened the soil and enjoyed getting dirty for the one time of the year that the garden is empty. I practically laid down and took a nap it was so glorious. Emerson too, was helping me, and the quiet time in the garden we have had these past couple of weeks, I treasure. We talk softly about all sorts of different things. His attention completely focused on dirt, worms, bugs, bees, how things grow. I think he's taking ownership of the land and wow does that feel great. He already has such knowledge of how things grow, pollination, seedlings, and harvesting. One of my goals going into this was making sure my kids know where food comes from - I think we're definitely on our way!

Seedlings are just starting to appear. The spinach row is barely visable, but there are a couple of tiny two leafed seedlings growing up. The two rows of sugar snap peas have really progressed. The seedlings look strong, thick, and hardy. Both seeds were planted 10 days ago. There is a garlic bulb right smack dab in the middle of the big garden that seems to be doing really well this year. It looks strong and almost as if it has spread. We pulled most of the mint out of that garden. It's just to invasive, but we left a little around the garlic bulb as weed deterrent. The biggest surprise is the three onions seem to be growing and I don't know where they came from. Maybe they didn't grow last year and somehow made it through the winter? Maybe it was some sort of seedling from last year's harvest? Who knows, but it's messed with everything I thought I knew about growing things. Magic onions.

Christine and I made a lot of progress in the garden by the garage, ridding it of Creeping Charlie, roofing shingles, and glass (!) Our plan is to put all of the tomatoes in the garage garden this year. That will cut down on shading when they get as tall as a tree and all of the staking will happen in here. Made a decision to plant the pumpkin the same spot as last year. That way, the vine stays to that north side of the yard and doesn't get in anything elses way, large as it is!

We ended the day planting onion sets with Emerson and Ezra in the little 4 x 4 herb/lettuce garden. They each made little troughs and measured 3 inches between each onion with a stick, taking special care to leave their tips barely sticking out of the dirt when covered up. Such care, such delicate 5 year old fingers, precicely pushing tiny onions into the dirt. Kinda like a painting.

I think I should keep up on watering this week as it promises to be in the seventies (still April!) and no rain until Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment